Jetoptera is an aviation startup developing powerful UAVs and realistic flying cars to revolutionize the way we transport products and people. We have developed a distributed propulsion system and novel airframe to create an aircraft that is more efficient, lighter, and less complex than previous models. This design enables a host of unique abilities, including vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL), high speeds up to 200 mph, significant payloads and range, and maneuverability.
We are a small team operating in an exciting and complex space where the sky is literally the limit. We are based in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, just outside of Seattle, on the shores of the Puget Sound. We are looking for exceptional candidates who will thrive in our environment of rigorous scientific inquiry and collaboration and help make our vision of useful UAVs and actual flying cars a reality.
Job description: Senior Engineer
We are currently seeking an experienced engineer to help research, develop and deploy aircraft based on a revolutionary propulsion system integrated with a unique airframe. The Aerospace/Mechanical engineer will be responsible for the aerothermal and mechanical design of components for both the propulsion system and airframe and their integration.
As an experienced design engineer, your key responsibilities include:
- Apply component technical expertise in R&D and deployment of new products, as well as end-user and supply chain technical support.
- Leverage a high level of analytical ability/experience to manage complex mechanical engineering problems and deliver robust UAS and flying car solutions.
- Design producible components that meet our specs, industry standards and conform to manufacturing constraints.
- Communicate well, both verbally and in writing, to ensure component requirements are fully developed, approved and documented.
- Have good working knowledge of design tools and have a proven track record of application.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Aeronautical Engineering (or equivalent) and 10 or more years of experience in gas turbine and propulsion design and/or manufacturing; Master's degree with 7 or more years of experience or PhD degree with 5 or more years of hands on experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry.
- Strong skills in engineering software packages including MATLAB, 3D CAD
- Experience working with manufacturing/quality and/or product support/service engineering, preferable with OEMs
- Hands-on experience in working with airframe composites and metallic components
- Hands-on experience in working with 3D printing and Ceramic Matrix Composites
- Ability to complete tasks according to project schedule on time and within budget
- Experience with Structural Analysis including FEA mechanical lifting models/methods for metallic and non-metallic components
- A great level of interpersonal skills to work effectively in a team environment,
- Ability to work with customers
- Ability to support static and flight testing of propulsion and airframe
- Experience in small gas turbines development
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a "US Person" as defined by 22 C.F.R.